Wednesday, February 24, 2010

How I Get My Paint On

A few weeks ago Allan and I spent the weekend painting my dressing room.  Now, I don't often toot my own horn, but I'm a pretty darn good painter.  And I love it, painting is very relaxing to me.  And the best thing about painting is the end result which is always so amazing.  Painting is definitely the cheapest way to transform a room!  

Along the way I've picked up a few helpful tricks.  So, I thought I'd share a little something my dear mommy taught me long ago.  It all starts with this...

 

Yep! A gallon of milk.  Now, Allan is definitely the el-cheapo one in our relationship but there are definitely some things I refuse to spend my pennies on.  For example, this Handy Paint Pail, $9.87 at Lowes.

 
 Picture from Lowes.com

Whhaaatt?? Almost ten buckaroos for a little bucket that is just going to get filled with paint???   I don't think so.  That money could be spent much better at Home Goods!  So here is my solution.  Take a gallon of milk (or any other gallon beverage) and drink it all up, 'cause I don't like to waste.  Once your belly is full and the plastic gallon is empty, take a pair of sharp scissors and cut around the spout, down the side of the jug stopping about half way.  Continue over then back up to your original starting point.  Just be sure to leave the handle intact.


Your finished product should look like this.  Easy peasy right?  Finally, just fill 'er up with paint and you are set to go.  


Now I know my paint pail doesn't come with a magnetic brush keeper or a paint scrapper like this one, but it definitely gets the job done.  Costing you zero dollars and zero cents (aside from what the milk cost you, which you most likely would have bought either way).  

So there you have it! Your own super duper, super cheapo, handy paint pail!

No comments:

Post a Comment